Monday 12 November 2012

Pham Sushi

More from my new neck of the woods, EC1.  Though I don't suppose I'm technically new anymore, having worked here since July.  Pham Sushi have 2 premises on Whitecross Street, making it quite the place to be come lunchtime what with the bustling daily food market, also soon to open is a 2nd location for Kennedy's fish & chips and there's a Waitrose at the end of the street, for those who prefer that sort of thing.


I do like a proper meal at lunch and I've eaten at both Pham restaurants. Somewhat predictably, I have to say the main thing that stuck with me, was the dish they're famed for, the crunchy tuna rolls. Having read here and here that they are special, I have to agree.  These are pretty decent value too at £7.50 for 8 rolls.  I'll definitely be back for more.


On my first visit, I also had the prawn and vegetable tempura soba soup.  This had a nice garnish of spring onion, generous amounts of mushrooms and seaweed along with a decent broth.  Again, reasonable for £9.50.  The tempura consisted of 2 large prawns, some sweet potato and courgette, standard but good.


I had the house special salmon bento last week, which I think is overpriced at £13.50.  The box is reasonably large but, aside from the salmon and tuna sashimi, the accompaniments were dull, I'll be sticking to the sushi in future.


Both places were quiet for the duration of my lunchtime visits and service was swift and efficient.  With the glut of decent sushi options available to those based in Soho for work, I had feared I'd be missing out but Pham Sushi more than matches the likes of Kulu Kulu and Ten Ten Tei.  I'm also still keen to try Sushi Tetsu which is just up the road from work, though it seems to be more of a dinner destination. 

Pham Sushi
159 and 165 Whitecross Street
EC1Y
6.5/10

Pham Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments: