Tuesday 23 July 2013

Brasserie Zedel

Having heard so so many good things about Brasserie Zédel, I'm an idiot for not having made it there before their 1 year anniversary arrived.  I was lucky enough to be invited to dine with co-owner Jeremy King to celebrate and hear a little bit about his motivations behind opening the behemoth.

Beginning the evening with a couple of gin martinis in the Bar Américain Jeremy explained his inspiration stemmed from meals he enjoyed in Parisian restaurants, noting in particular their relaxed attitudes and paper tablecloths, and recognizing an absence in London of a French Brasserie appealing to both diners on a budget and those looking to splash out.  Jeremy, along with long time business partner Chris Corbin, set out to establish a similar setting here.  It's clear to see he's passionate about what he's doing, and he a charming and interesting man to boot.

Here's what I ate:-

Oeufs dur mayonnaise, £3.50

Literally everyone who has eaten this delight raves about it.  So simple but so good.  I knew I loved boiled eggs, but I can't stop thinking about this dish.  Who da thunk it? 

Boeuf Bourguignon, £9.75

Despite it being the hottest day of the year so far, as most have been in recent weeks, I couldn't resist this classic French stew and I wasn't disappointed.  Generous portion of everything, really creamy mash and a rich bacony red wine sauce. 

Iles Flottante, £3.95

If I haven't raved enough, things got ridiculous with dessert.  Meringue, on creme Anglaise.  If there was a pudding made for me, it's this.  Then they drizzled it with caramel and sprinkled it with crystallized rose petals (I think).  Unbelievable.  

There's a really lovely air to the place, it feels much like everybody in the grand dining room is having a brilliant time, and with food of such amazing quality and value, it's clear to see why they've won such a huge following in just 1 year.

I can't wait to revisit, especially for that Ile Flottante!  Open 7 days a week, noon til midnight, get yourself down there. 

Brasserie Zedel
20 Sherwood Street
Soho
W1

I dined as a guest of Brasserie Zédel.

Brasserie Zedel on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pink bits in the pudding are pralines.

Boo said...

Thanks anon. I suspected I was talking nonsense, was a little tipsy by that point in the evening and the colour threw me