Friday 30 August 2013

August Round Up

The Ledbury

A return visit to The Ledbury happened this month.  Excellent it was too.  Highlight being this jowl of pork dish with celeriac baked in juniper (they do wonderful things involving baked vegetables) truffle and hazelnuts.


Special mention once again for the incredible bread, onion brioche and tomato bread as well as several granary loaves.  I learned on my last visit that one must not fill up on the bread, as tempting as it is.  The banana and chocolate malt tart was also epic.  Still got it, Brett.


Herman Ze German

These guys have recently expanded and can now be found on Old Compton as well as Villiers St.  Handy for those missing The Bratwurst, which I never tried actually, but shame they're gone.  Midway point through a night out at Bar Soho and Trisha's this bratwurst was just what the doctor ordered.


Was about £6 if my memory serves me correctly.  I enjoyed it.  Open late into the night for Soho revellers to refuel on crispy onions.  Not as good as the wursts on Whitecross St Market though.

Oblix at The Shard

Bel and I went for a jazz brunch at Oblix on the 32nd floor of The Shard.  The first opening on the site, it's not been met with much acclaim, and I'll echo that sentiment, it was too hit and miss.

The set brunch is quite pricey at £58 per person.  It's a buffet affair, which I have to say fills me with a child like excitement, in this case lots of vibrant looking salads and veggies, think Ottolenghi.  I really filled up my plate.  Yes, I was hungover and this plateful absolutely revived me.  This and that glass of champagne, 1 per person.


You choose between 3 mains, my clam pasta was good, Bel's pork was bad.  The dessert buffet was also underwhelming.  We both concluded we should have gone to Aqua.  Next time.

Whyte & Brown

I was lucky enough to be invited along to try Whyte & Brown with a group of fellow bloggers.  We dined with creative director Fiona Gale who explained she hand picked most of the recipes and shared many of them with us.


The bangkok scotch egg was an interesting mix flavours, chicken thigh meat flecked with chilli, coriander and ginger.  The deal is this is a menu designed around the chicken and the egg.  A tad gimmicky but there is a genuine excitement about the venture from those involved and they've snagged a great spot on Kingly Court.


The real hit of the night was probably the hot wings, they were incredibly fiery, served with caramelized orange wedges to cool you down.  My chicken and langoustine pie was great too.  Thankfully no chicken in the desserts, this isn't garlic & shots!

The Ledbury
127 Ledbury Road
Notting Hill
W11
9/10

The Ledbury on Urbanspoon

Herman Ze German
33 Old Compton Street
Soho
W1D
6/10

Herman ze German on Urbanspoon

Oblix at the Shard
London Bridge
SE1
6/10

 Oblix on Urbanspoon

Whyte & Brown
Kingly Court, Carnaby St
W1B

I dined as a guest of Whyte & Brown

Whyte & Brown on Urbanspoon


No comments: