Monday 30 June 2014

City Social

Bel and I spent an evening at City Social while I was back, the aim being cram in as many Atherton restaurants as possible in the 2 weeks.  Not really, but we do love him. 

This might be a really silly thing to say, but there were a lot of suits in there.  It really is in the City.  Duh.  There was a minor kerfuffle when we dared to request the goats cheese churros, from the bar menu, as we were sat in the more formal restaurant (they both have the same air of formality actually) but they let us in the end.  They were brilliant.  Less cheesy than I expected with a sweet truffle honey dip (£6).  Everything was quite subtle, didn’t get much truffle flavor either.


For starter we shared the poached egg and asparagus, and it was a really generous portion given that we’d asked for it to be split.  We thought they’d just given us 1 each actually.  Full list of components - Wye Valley asparagus salad, parmesan sablĂ©, soft poached hen’s egg, 2 year pecorino, bone marrow crumbs (£14).  Really lovely. 


For main I had the Line-caught seabass (£32).  I surprised myself ordering this, it was the accompaniments of deep-fried oyster, cauliflower, sea fennel and oyster veloutĂ© that swung it for me.  A girl at a neighbouring table leaned over to ask me what I had ordered, it did look good.  The fish was a generous portion and I was really happy with my choice.  Loved the deep fried oyster especially.

 
For dessert we went for the custard tart (£8), again to share, served with nutmeg and milk sorbet.  There’s a hint of bourbon somewhere in there too.  The pastry was perfect, as you’d expect.  I remember seeing Marcus Wareing doing the most incredible looking custard tart on the Great British Menu a few years ago, and this one looked identical. 


We moved into the bar after pud and had a few cocktails.  I hated one of them, it tasted like liquid smoke, not my cup of tea at all and the barman offered to replace it with something far more up my street.  We were the last to leave and we larked about in the foyer in some Dr Evil type chairs on the way out.  The toilets have the most amazing views across London, I lingered in there a bit longer than one should.  It’s that good. 


This won’t ever replace Berner’s as my Atherton fave, but the food is up to scratch, Atherton’s London take over continues at pace, oh he is good.

Tower 42
25 Old Broad St
EC2N
8.5/10

City Social on Urbanspoon

No comments: